Clovis West High School
Clovis West High School (CWHS) is a co-educational, public high school part of the Clovis Unified School District in the well-established suburban community in northeast Fresno, California. A strong concentration of business managers and professionals reside in the area. It was founded in 1976, and has grades 9-12. Clovis West High School is ranked 206th within California. Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement coursework and exams. The AP participation rate at Clovis West High School is 41 percent. 833 tests administered and 71% tested received a score of “3” or higher.
We have many accomplishments to be proud of at Clovis West. The 2013-14 school year proved to be one of athletic success, as CWHS earned six CIF championships, the Athletic Supremacy Award, and also was recognized by Cal-Hi Sports as a School of Distinction. Academically, our math and science teams continued to win competitions at the local and state levels, and our AP classes continue to have the highest pass rates, including five classes with a 100 percent pass rate. Seventeen of the 18 AP classes had the majority of their students pass the AP exam, as well.
Size: 10.5 acres
Year Established: 1976
Facilities: Gymnasiums, Athletic Fields, Band Room, Science Labs, Library, Cafeteria, Kitchen, Locker Rooms & Pools
Awards and Achievements:
• National Blue Ribbon School
• California Distinguished School
• California Exemplary School Award in Physical Education & Health Education
• California Athletic High School of the Year
• Clovis Unified CLASSI Award
• California State Championships
• California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Championships
• League Supremacy Titles
• CA excellence in education
In 2010, Clovis West High School attained an API of 852, placing the school towards the top of the California state high schools. The average SAT score for 2010-2011 is 509 (verbal), 540 (mathematics), and 515 (writing). Current results for the school’s scoring are maintained at the California Standardized Testing And Reporting (STAR) Program.
The following A.P. courses are offered at Clovis West High School: Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, Environmental Science, Chemistry, Physics, Economics (Micro & Macro), English Composition, English Literature, World History, American Government, American History, Psychology, Spanish, and Chinese. Each A.P. course requires a specific prerequisite course of study. These prerequisites need to be included in the development of any four-year plan culminating in the A.P. experience. Many AP courses require spring and summer work.
Academic Decathlon: Academic Decathlon competes in ten different academic disciplines based upon an annual theme. Students compete against other decathletes with comparable GPAs, ensuring a rich, equitable competition for all participants.
AVID: AVID is a program which combines components of student-centered outreach programs with curriculum improvement and professional development. In other words, AVID integrates student centered and school centered strategies.
Mock Trial: Mock Trial helps students acquire a working knowledge of law and our judicial system, improve critical thinking and presentation skills, develop analytical abilities and communication skills, and gain an understanding of obligations and responsibilities as participating members of society. Each year, a new set of Mock Trial materials based on an important issue facing America’s youth is created and produced including a hypothetical criminal case, summaries of case law, witness statements, official exhibits, and simplified rules of evidence. Cases are released in the early fall and the Fresno County competition occurs in January and February with all schools participating in a minimum of four rounds of trials at the Fresno County Courthouse.
- National Honors Society
- California Scholarship Federation
Clovis West High School competes in the California Interscholastic Federation’s (CIF) Central Section.
- Varsity Cross Country
- Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Football
- Girl’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Golf
- Girl’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Tennis
- Girl’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Volleyball
- Girl’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Water Polo
- Boy’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Water Polo
- Boy’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Basketball
- Girl’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Basketball
- Boy’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Soccer
- Girl’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Soccer
- Boy’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Baseball
- Boy’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Golf
- Girl’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Softball
- Swim and Diving
- Boy’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Tennis
- Boy’s Varsity/Junior Varsity/Freshman Volleyball