Buchanan High School
Situated in a rapidly growing suburban community in the northeast section of Clovis with a strong concentration of business managers and professionals, Buchanan High School is a comprehensive four-year high school enrolling 2,711 students in grades 9-12. The school opened in the fall of 1991 and graduated its first senior class in the spring of 1995. BHS is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and holds memberships in the College Board and the National Association for College Admission Counseling. BHS is recognized as a National Blue Ribbon School and a California Distinguished School.
- All students can learn.
- Education is a journey of continuous improvement involving the school, the family, and the community.
- Preparation, work ethic and accountability promote achievement.
- Public responsibility and citizenship promote unity.
- Together we succeed…it’s people not programs
Expected School wide learning results
- Understand how to connect their knowledge to the global community.
- Utilize their skills as critical and creative thinkers to succeed in any post secondary environment.
- Practice a work ethic which allows them to manage time and set goals toward the future.
- Make healthy lifestyle choices and contribute to their community.
Facilities: Gymnasiums, Athletic Fields, Sports Complex, Stadium, Science Labs, Computer Lab, Library, Cafeteria, Kitchen, Locker Rooms & Pool
BHS alumni have gone on to study at universities such as Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, and USC.
Awards and Achievements:
- National Blue Ribbon School
- California Distinguished School
- World Championships Robotics
- California Athletic High School of the Year
- Clovis Unified CLASSI Award
- Athletic League Championships – 160
- California Central Championships -108
- California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) State Championships – 7
- National Championships – 5
- Athletic Supremacy Award
- CA excellence in education
Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language, English Composition, English Literature, Environmental Science, Macroeconomics, Music Theory, Physics C, Psychology, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art Drawing, U.S. Government, U.S. History, World History.
Honors courses are offered in the subjects of English, Mathematics and Science.
Special programs include accelerated placement, work experience, college courses without credit, bilingual education, and special education.
Buchanan was awarded “California Athletic High School of the Year” in 05-06. The Bears received “Special Mention State School of the Year” by CalHiSports for their athletic success in 07-08 and 08- 09. The Bears wrestling team was State Champions in the 2005-2006 season. The Bears Baseball Team was awarded the Powerade Fab50 National Champions title for the 2010-2011 season. The Men’s Volleyball team were Maxpreps Top-Ranked team in CA in 2011. Buchanan High school won the national, state and valley championships for baseball in 2011.
- Boys and Girls Water Polo
- Boys and Girls Cross Country
- Girls Golf
- Girls Tennis
- Girls Volleyball
- Boys and Girls Basketball
- Boys and Girls Soccer
- Boys Golf
- Boys Tennis
- Boys Volleyball
- Swimming and Diving
- Track and Field
BHS also offers a wide range of fine arts and extracurricular clubs activities, including:
- Performing arts: band, jazz band, orchestra, choir, improv, orchestra
- Visual arts: photo, ceramics, videography
- Academic teams: Academic Decathlon, Destination Imagination, Forensics/Debate, History Day, Math Team, Mock Trial, Robotics, Science Bowl, Science Fair, Science Olympiad
- Clubs: 40 clubs including Key Club, College Bound, Women in STEM, Chess Club, Computer Science Club, and Writer’s Club