How It Works
What’s the process of becoming a host family with AmeriStudent?
- Application: The first step is to fill out our host family application. The application only takes about 15 minutes to complete, but provides us with a good glimpse of your home and family. We ask for contact information, a list of who lives in the home, some basic details about your home, and the clearest photos you can provide of your family and of a few individual rooms in your house. AmeriStudent uses a unique technological platform in which we upload the photos and parts of the information you provide to a “family profile” accessed by special link. These profiles allow students from around the world to catch a glimpse of their potential host families and are a great tool in creating the best match for the student and the family. All personal details about your family will remain confidential.
- Initial Background Check: This is only a preliminary background check to make sure nothing major pops up.
- In-Home Interview: Next, one of our AmeriStudent staff will conduct a home visit to meet you in person and to make sure there are no discrepancies between what you’ve provided and what they observe on their visit. To ensure that the inspection goes smoothly, and if at all possible, we will ask that all family members be home for the visit. The AmeriStudent representative will want to meet everyone in person and ask a few questions to each family member. When it comes to scheduling a visit, we will coordinate with you so that the visit does not get in the way of work or other important obligations. This is also a great opportunity for you to ask us any questions you have and to hear a bit more about what to expect.
- Matching: The family’s profile is finalized and we begin connecting the hosts with international students who we think would be most compatible from across the globe.
- In Depth Background Check: At this stage in the process we now conduct a thorough background check on each adult family member for criminal activity or other misconduct. We may use more than one resource to check the backgrounds of our potential host families. We will always ask permission before we do the checks, but they are mandatory. The safety of our students is a number one priority!
- Agreement: This contract will go over, in detail, all that is expected of host families. It is important that the contract is read carefully before being signed.
- Placement: Once a match has been made we work on the final details regarding placement. Typically, students arrive during Fall or Spring depending on when they start school. We will give you time to prepare for their arrival and help you through the process.
- Post-Placement Support: Our confirmed, you will be required to participate in an orientation before the student’s arrival. Our orientations are designed to help our host families best prepare for a positive host family experience. You will receive some training, which will equip you by describing what to expect, how to deal with conflict when it arises, and how you can make the most of your hosting experience. Even after the training is done, AmeriStudent staff is available 24/7 throughout the school year to help you and to mediate any issues that arise. We are committed to supporting you from the moment your student arrives to the moment they leave your home to head back to their native country!